HENRY G. WILSHIRE (1861-1927) American land developer, publisher and namesake of Wilshire Boulevard.
1889, California. Stock certificate for ten shares issued to and signed as president by Wilshire. Also endorsed on verso, thus signed twice. With blind embossed company seal. Very Fine.
A central figure in the growth of Los Angeles, Henry G. Wilshire purchased land and helped transform Long Beach into a seaside resort and also developed Wilshire Boulevard, which he donated to the city of Los Angeles. Known as the millionaire socialist, Wilshire also published a socialist leaning magazine that drew contributions from George Bernard Shaw, Upton Sinclair and Jack London.
A subsidiary of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe, The Fullerton Land and Trust Company played a role in the establishment of Fullerton, California, which was named to honor the company’s president, George Fullerton.